Here's how it works
30 teams pledge to fundraise on behalf of 826CHI's creative writing programs. Dollars raised will be used to purchase "cheats," which can be used to decimate your opponents.
On Saturday, February 27th, after weeks of peer-to-peer fundraising, teams will go head-to-head in a Scrabble tournament, using their hard-earned arsenal of cheats to win a series of 45-minute games. Champions take home a custom-designed Scrabble board, gloriously gaudy trophy, and critical acclaim for eternity. The highest fundraisers will win a 6-night stay in a private Playa del Carmen condo.
This year, we aim to raise $20,000. Every donation helps ensure that each of our 2,000+ students can attend our literary arts programs, free-of-cost. Can we count on your trickery?
- Each team pledges to raise a minimum of $500
- Each team must consist of 2 players.*
- Each team must have a team name.
- Each team must dress like a team on the day of the tournament (costumes encouraged!).
- Each team must arrive by 11:30am on the day of the tournament.
- Cheats will be officially bought/issued on tournament day.
- Each cheat purchased may be used only once.
- Turns are timed at 2 minutes. Games are over at 45 minutes.
- Cheating is encouraged.
* If you're having trouble finding a teammate, don't fret. Email email@example.com and 826CHI will try its best to match you up with another independent player.
- $25: THE SWAP: Trade out a letter
- $50: THE NON-CON: Buy a vowel
- $100: THE KOSHKA: Play a word in any non-English language
- $150: THE AUGMENT: Add 10 pts to any letter to increase its value
- $200: THE ALSORANS: Add Q, Z, or X to any word
- $250: THE BLANK: Flip a letter over and make it blank
- $300: THE CONFER: Consult the dictionary for one turn
- $400: THE SPURN: Reject an opponent's word (they'll lose these tiles)
- $500: THE WEBSTER: Invent a word (must have definition)