Registration for Saturday's tournament is now closed.
(but if you really, really want to form a team, email Kortney@826chi.org)
Here's how it works:
30 teams pledge to fundraise on behalf of 826CHI's creative writing programs. Dollars raised will be used to purchase "cheats," which can be used to decimate your opponents.
On Saturday, February 27th, after weeks of peer-to-peer fundraising, teams will go head-to-head in a Scrabble tournament, using their hard-earned arsenal of cheats to win a series of 45-minute games. Champions take home a custom-designed Scrabble board, gloriously gaudy trophy, and critical acclaim for eternity. The highest fundraisers will win a 6-night stay in a private Playa del Carmen condo.
This year, we aim to raise $20,000. Every donation helps ensure that each of our 2,000+ students can attend our literary arts programs, free-of-cost. Can we count on your trickery? All donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
The tournament begins at noon. Championship round is at 5pm.
- $25: THE SWAP: Trade out a letter
- $50: THE NON-CON: Buy a vowel
- $100: THE KOSHKA: Play a word in any non-English language
- $150: THE AUGMENT: Add 10 pts to any letter to increase its value
- $200: THE ALSORANS: Add Q, Z, or X to any word
- $250: THE BLANK: Flip a letter over and make it blank
- $300: THE CONFER: Consult the dictionary for one turn
- $400: THE SPURN: Reject an opponent's word (they'll lose these tiles)
- $500: THE WEBSTER: Invent a word (must have definition)
A 6-night stay in this gorgeous, private Playa del Carmen condo
The Cheater's Chalice of Eternal Glory; two trophies so large they dwarf even the largest of toddlers
This beautiful Scrabble Typography board
A pair of 3-day passes to Pitchfork Music Festival
A pair of gloriously gaudy second-place trophies
Dinner for 4 at Dusek's
Two VIP tickets to a Metro show of your choice
Two gift cards to Chicago Costume, totaling $150
- Each team pledges to raise a minimum of $250
- Each team must consist of 2 players.*
- Each team must have a team name.
- Each team must dress like a team on the day of the tournament (costumes encouraged!).
- Each team must arrive by 11:30am on the day of the tournament.
- Cheats will be officially bought/issued on tournament day.
- Each cheat purchased may be used only once.
- Turns are timed at 2 minutes. Games are over at 45 minutes.
- Cheating is encouraged.
* If you're having trouble finding a teammate, don't fret. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and 826CHI will try its best to match you up with another independent player.